Wednesday, June 6, 2012

The Perfect Pork Chop (plus Macaroni & Cheese)

  Ahh the pork chop.  I reference once again my mom who pretty much taught me everything I know up to this point about cooking.  She somehow bakes pork chops perfectly.  Dipped in egg and then covered in her perfectly seasoned breadcrumbs, they always come out juicy and delicious, or at least that's how I remember it.
  Well, I've tried baking.  I'm so worried about undercooking, that I cook my pork chops to death.  Most people would rather repair their shoes with them than eat them for dinner, but my darling husband never complains.
  But I have found a secret.  The grill.  Oh yes, that wonderful outdoor cooking machine that means no dishes can also make the perfect pork chop.  I don't think my picture fully shows the perfect sear I got on each side.  Nor does it show the succulent juiciness of the meat inside.  This pork chop, shown above, actually got a "Oh my god, that's good" from my otherwise reserved husband.  Yes, its really that good.
  The other secret to my recent grilling success is a little box of spice mix called Pappy's.  It works on all meat.  If you can grill it, it works.  My next experiment with this magic dust is my grilled squash tonight.
  My delicious pork chop is accompanied by a new experience for us, swiss chard.  A lot like spinach, its a leafy green with a slightly bitter flavor.  I used Bobby Flay's Wilted Swiss Chard with Raisins recipe and added some toasted almonds on top for a little crunch.  The sweetness of the raisins really balanced the swiss chard and it has become one of my favorite greens.
  Our other side is my lower calorie version of my mom's Macaroni & Cheese.  It's not "low" calorie, just lower than normal.  When I joined Weight Watchers there was a few things I knew I'd never be able to give up.  I had to find a plan that let me eat certain things and still lose weight.  My mom's Mac & Cheese is one of those things.

Mom's Macaroni & Cheese (with a lower calorie makeover)

2 c uncooked whole wheat pasta
1/4 c. butter
1 small onion (about 1/4 cup)
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp black pepper
1/4 cup flour
1 c. non-fat or skim milk
1 c. fat free half and half
8 oz. sharp cheddar 2% milk
1 c whole wheat bread crumbs

Cook pasta and set aside.

Melt butter in a saucepan and add onions, salt, and pepper and cook until onions are tender.  Add flour and whisk.  Cook on medium-low until bubbly.  
Remove from heat and add milk and half & half.  Return to medium heat and stir continuously until boiling.  Continue stirring and boil for 1 min.  Should be thick and creamy.  Remove from heat and add cheese one handful at a time.


Add macaroni and sauce to a casserole dish and cover with breadcrumbs.  Make sure you get all the way to the edges!  Bake in 350 degree oven for 30 min.  Let it cool for 5-10 min to set.

I tried using "light butter" but there was so much water in it that the proportions ended up wrong and my sauce was not quite the right consistency.  We always dice the onions really small because we didn't like getting big chunks.  Also, don't add too many onions or you won't get a nice smooth sauce.  The fat free half & half helps to make a creamier casserole even though you're using that skim milk.

Like I said, not "low" calorie, but "lower" calorie.  We used to eat this as a main dish, but now I like it as a side with a leaner piece of meat.

So to sum up, don't be afraid of that grill!  Yeah, you might have to eat a few charred pieces of meat (that's what sales are for!) or sometimes throw them back on when they aren't quite cooked, but once you get the hang of the grill, Yum!

1 comment:

  1. Okay. Call off the dogs. . FAT FREE Half and Half? Why have I never heard of this????????

    ReplyDelete