Wednesday, May 30, 2012

The Return & Grilling Adventures

I've decided to blog again.  Mostly because I like writing and the rest because I love cooking.  I'm going to expand my blog to share some of my favorite recipes and cooking techniques.  I also have a 13-month old and cooking for him is an adventure as well.   My main goal is to share things.  If I can do it, you can do it.  Don't be afraid to try new things with food.  Food can be healthy, fun and delicious.

My sister is a grilling master.  Yes, my sister.  She can grill a piece of beef like nobody else.  Her hamburgers are out of this world.  Since I have no desire to compete with her mad skills, I've taken on the challenge of grilling chicken.  Let's not get this confused with barbecue which will be an entirely different adventure.

I found this great article on how to grill chicken.  Grilling Chicken - Step by step  which helped me to grill some of the most amazing chicken I've had in a while.  Every once in a while I get a craving for a nice piece of grilled chicken with crispy skin and a whole lot of messy barbecue sauce. And man did I come through.  Sadly, I forgot to take pictures.  I will do that for you next time.

The secret to good chicken is searing the outside so that you can cook it all the way through without losing all that fantastic juice.  Make sure you preheat your grill and let it get HOT HOT HOT.  Then you can turn down the flames so that the inside of the chicken cooks and the hot grill will sear the outside of your chicken.  If you're cooking different pieces, don't be afraid to move them around and adjust the heat of your grill.  And most of all, make sure your chicken is cooked!  No one wants food poisoning.  Last, but not least, don't be stingy with the BBQ sauce. There is no such thing as too much!  Well, maybe its too much if its rolling on to the burners, but you know what I mean!  Make sure you let your grill get cool enough to sauce both sides and really let that sauce cook into the chicken.

Ok, that's all I've got.  Good luck with your chicken and let me know how it tastes!

2 comments:

  1. Hey! You talked about me!! I'm famous :-D (Also, thought in your grilling adventures you might try a "mop sauce" instead of BBQ sauce... it's on my to-do list as well and may just be another one of those "Souther Thangs" so if you don't have any clue what I'm talking about we'll have to try it out here and send you some if it passes the Grill Master test)

    P.S. - Chicken on the grill just happens to be my Achilles heel so I'm glad you're picking up my slack :-) I'll still work on some grill-ninja skills to impress you next time we're together!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I was just watching Restaurant Impossible last night and they used a mop sauce. Doing real southern BBQ in general would be a goal for me. I'm going to put a smoker on my list of things I "need".

    ReplyDelete