Thursday, June 14, 2012

A Small Rant & Leafy Greens

I don't like to call my change in lifestyle a "diet".  I prefer to think that I'm making lifelong changes that will not only make me healthier, but my family as well.  I can't remember the last time I went to fast food, although I do know it was Taco Bell.  I used to jokingly ask Aaron why we ever went out because it seems more often than not I can make whatever it is we are eating better, and most likely, healthier.  It was less a statement bragging about my abilities but more of a commentary on the lack of quality and variety of dining establishments.  Not only that but it seems like these days you pay a huge price for a huge plate of food with a huge calorie count.  I would much rather eat a small plate of amazing food that is made with quality ingredients.

I'm not exactly sure how I'm going to transition that little rant into my topic, but what I wanted to talk about in this post was greens.  Green, leafy vegetables that I had never discovered before.  I talked about swiss chard in a previous post, but another one I've discovered is kale.  Ryan went through a couple weeks where I had to hide stuff in his kale in order to get him to eat other things.  I made a faux take on an Irish dish where you combine mashed potatoes and kale and I swear that boy picked out the kale and left the potatoes.  He likes it roasted, steamed or just microwaved.  I've notices a lot of the leafy greens taste similar, but kale has a nice mellow taste to it.
Beet greens are another leafy vegetable that is not very common on the American table.  I have been watching a lot of Alton Brown's Good Eats and he did an entire show on beets.  So I thought I'd give them a try.  While Ryan ate more beets than Aaron and I combined, I made a really delicious Au Gratin with the beet greens that I consider a "keeper".  I later used the same recipe with spinach and it was just as good.

Alton Brown's Beet Green Au Gratin

My "Any Green" Au Gratin (mine is slightly more WW friendly)

1 Tbsp Light butter
8 oz sliced mushrooms
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 lb beet greens, spinach, kale, swiss chard, or some combination of any or all.
kosher salt and pepper
1/2 cup fat free cottage cheese
1/4 cup parmesan cheese
1/2 tsp salt
10 ritz crackers, crumbled

Follow the same steps as Alton's recipe.  Mine is lighter and only about 160 calories per serving (this recipe is 4 servings).  It's a great way to hide greens for picky eaters, or just a nice change of pace.  It microwaves well so feel free to double the recipe.  I think this will make a really nice addition for any holiday dinner as well.

So to review, this week try a new leafy green vegetable that you haven't tried before.  They're all in season and they are all delicious.  Let me know what creation you make with your delicious leafy greens!




 

No comments:

Post a Comment