Tuesday, August 3, 2010

One "Fine Mexican Food" Restaurant Down...

Only what, a hundred thousand or so to go?  This is California after all. 

I should first say my favorite Mexican dish is Beef Enchiladas.  I always thought they were a simple dish, easy to make, hard to mess up.  Man, was I wrong.  I have yet to find enchiladas out here as good as La Parrilla's in GA. No, I have no problem dropping names and begging for some kind of endorsement.  Someday people will beg to have me, Tori, do a review of their restaurant.

Anyway, Beef Enchiladas is my default, go-to dish when going to a Mexican Restaurant.  I mean, if they make good enchiladas, then I figure they deserve another chance.  So you will probably hear a lot about beef enchiladas.

These were OK.  The sauce was mediocre with little punch to it. It tasted a little bland and a little off.  I'm not sure how else to describe it, but it wasn't enchilada sauce.  I like a spicy sauce with a deep red color.  I don't need spicy as in its too hot to actually eat, but I like to taste the peppers, the cumin, the chili powder, and let it all mingle on my palate and make that happy little yum noise.  You do it too, don't lie.

They used shredded beef, corn tortillas, and topped it with cheese and sour cream. I could live without the sour cream as well.  The beef wasn't bad, but I had to tear the enchiladas into bite size pieces rather than cut them.

Now lets talk about the beans. Those get an A+.  The rice was good as well, but their refried beans are the only reason I'd go back.  They left in some mostly whole beans to give it some texture and only added a sprinkling of cheese.  And I don't know what gives them that fantastic flavor (I can only imagine it has a lot of calories and probably sizzles), but give me some more.

My fellow diner, and the final word on all things culinary, is Aaron.  Aaron ordered a steak burrito which was as big around as his forearm and stuffed full with rice, those amazing beans, delicious steak, and cheese.  And then smothered in the so-so enchilada sauce.  He ended up mostly skipping the sauce, agreeing it was "meh" (yes, this is an official Aaron rating level) but finished off the steak which he agreed was "pretty tasty" (also an official level).

All in all, the Broad Street Taco Roco gets a B from Tori's Taste Buds.  They do have a few other locations as well.  Remember, we all have opinions and not everything on the internet is true.  If you doubt me, go try it yourself.

Taco Roco (Their official site)
3230 Broad Street (How you can find them)
San Luis Obispo, CA

3 comments:

  1. Enchiladas are a good barometer, how were the chips and salsa? You mentioned La Parilla and their chips are light and crispy and their salsa is fresh and zesty.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I forgot their chips. Good chips. The chips also got the Aaron stamp of approval. The salsa is spicy and tasty. Thumbs up on both.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Next time your down in Orange County, you'll have to do a review on my favorite Mexican restaurant, El Farolito. The Carnitas Plate is killer. Make sure you order it "crispy".

    ReplyDelete