Thursday, August 5, 2010

The Preponderance and Prevalence of Pizza

OMG, two posts, two days, she's out of control!  Calm down, I just didn't feel like cooking tonight and I spent all day compiling a list of restaurants and eating establishments here in Atascadero with which to entertain you folks.  Apparently there are quite a few pizza places in Atascadero.  And Aaron likes pizza.  So we got pizza. 

Here's the thing about pizza.  It's another simple dish, like beef enchiladas.  Simple, yet easy to mess up.  You need good crust, good sauce, a good cheese, and quality toppings.  If any of those things aren't up to par, your pizza will not be good.  It's like a mathematical equation.

Crust + Sauce + Cheese + Toppings = Yum  Factor

Now, as a form of reference, let's review Woodstock Pizza in SLO.  There will be a more thorough review later, but for now, I say its the premier pizza place on the central coast.  They sauce from edge to edge and fold over their dough so there is warm, tomatoey goodness in every bite.  They use fresh ingredients and plenty of them.  Their crust comes in white and honey wheat and they are both fantastic.  It's seriously good pizza.  It is the pinnacle of pizza-ness and every town should have one. So now that you understand the cream of the crop pizza, let's review tonight's dinner from Bravo Pizza Plus (and dang it, I forgot to ask what the Plus is all about!).

When I opened up the pizza box, my first thought was "mmm... gooey".  The cheese was all melty and the pizza looked full of toppings without having too much of anything and still had the crust visible.  We got a supreme with pepperoni, italian sausage, canadian bacon, green peppers, black olives, mushrooms and chopped garlic (it also comes with onions, but Aaron doesn't like onions).  The great thing about the garlic is it adds to the flavor of the pizza without being overpowering.  Yum Factor +1.

The crust was bubbly, toasty and well cooked on the outside, but not crisp on the bottom (I'm really OK with this.  I don't mind folding my pizza).  And, bonus points to Bravo for cutting the crust completely.  I hate when you go to grab a piece of pizza and pick up half the pie because someone was too lazy to cut it all the way.  It wasn't too bready or too thick.  It was crispy on the ends.  I give the crust an 8/10.  Nothing spectacular, but nothing to sneeze at.

I think the first bite of pizza is very important.  It's the middle of the pie.  It usually has the most cheese, sauce, and toppings.  I have to say this first bite was good.  It was cheesy, it was saucy, and it made me want more.  And I had more.  I had three pieces and I enjoyed every bite.


So of course, you're all waiting for what Aaron said because, if you didn't know, Aaron is an expert on pizza.  If there's one thing Aaron knows, its pizza (and cheeseburgers, but that's a subject for another day).  After asking what he thought, his reply was "pretty good".  This is not to be confused with "pretty tasty" which is slightly higher on the Aaron rating scale.  For pizza in this town, a "pretty good" is a decently high rating.  And I would agree.  It's not the best we've ever had, but could be the best in Atascadero. 

After a few not so good pizzas here (and don't worry, you get to hear about them all!) I'm pretty impressed with Bravo Pizza Plus.  I would definitely order from them again.  They are priced about average for this area and their large pizza is 12 good sized slices (you could feed 4 regular people with a large pizza).


Bravo Pizza Plus (Their official site)
8731 El Camino Real (How you can find them)
Atascadero, CA 93422

No comments:

Post a Comment