Sunday, August 15, 2010

There is more to see than just eggs and toast...

The one thing I have to say about Atascadero is there seems to be plenty of places that serve breakfast.  We have your regular run of the mill breakfasts like eggs, toast and sausage, but then there are also those places that serve breakfast burritos.  Also omelets seem to be all the rage.  I guess people around here get up really early before heading out of town for work.  And then they eat before returning, which explains why there are so few dinner places.

There's a point, I promise.  The Cowgirl Cafe is one of those places that serves breakfast.  When you open the menu there are two full pages of breakfast items.  Omelets, pancakes, frenchtoast, eggs (any way you like, scrambled, fried, poached, etc) sausage, bacon... you get the idea.  The crazy thing is it took me half a dozen visits before I even tried any of their breakfast things because I was so hooked on their cheeseburgers.  Yes, I would have to say The Cowgirl Cafe, home of two pages of breakfast items has *the best* cheeseburgers in Atascadero (and Aaron agrees).

I know what you're thinking... How can a breakfast place have such good cheeseburgers?  I can not honestly answer that question, but it is fact.  Their beef is delicious, their cheese comes out totally melted, they give big, thick slices of dill pickles, three slices of red tomato, romaine lettuce (full pieces, none of that shredded nonsense), onions, all on a buttered and toasted bun.  It's heaven (Aaron's heaven comes with bacon). And as if this fantastic cheeseburger wasn't enough.... they have some of the best onion rings I have ever had the privilege of tasting.  They are not too breaded, they are crisp, and (in my opinion, the *most* important quality) when you bite them, the onion stays in the ring.  No empty bread shells here, folks.  Only thickly cut, perfectly battered, crispy onions rings.

I just ate and writing about this makes me want one.

I've also tried their "Eggs and Skins".  What are these, you ask?  Some genius down at The Cowgirl Cafe said to himself one day, "everyone loves potato skins, why not add eggs and call it breakfast!".  If I could find that genius, I would kiss him (don't tell Aaron).  The skins are toasted and have just enough potato, covered in eggs with the bacon and cheese mixed in, and sour cream on top.  It's good.  How could it not be?  If you like potato skins, and you like eggs, this is all win.

I've also had the patty melt which is just one of their delicious cheeseburgers on some tasty rye bread coverd in melted cheese and sauteed onions.  I think if you take the sauteed onions from the patty melt and put it on the burger, it could possibly be perfection.  I'll let you know.  I also tried their fries with the patty melt, and they're good.  They're nice and thick, cooked to a perfect golden brown crisp so they can hold a nice pile of ketchup (you know, if you like ketchup on your fries).

All in all, I haven't had anything there that isn't delicious.  It took me a few times to get past the cheeseburger though, and I'll admit if it wasn't for this blog I might never have expanded my horizons.  It's really that good.

Cow Girl Cafe (Their official site)
6911 El Camino Real (How you can find them)
Atascadero, CA 93422

1 comment:

  1. I am coming to visit just so I can eat eggs with skins.

    ReplyDelete